- Are they licensed with Safe Work (WorkCover) for both demolition and asbestos removal, and are they fully insured for both public liability and workers compensation insurance? Be concerned if they are not forthcoming with providing you with copies of licences and insurance. They may not have them.
- Have they supplied a written quote (not just something scribbled on a piece of paper and thrown in your mailbox-believe me it still happens), with a clear scope of works outlining what is both included and excluded. Are they performing everything you require on-site?
- Is your building contractor happy with your choice of demolisher? Have they had any bad experiences commencing construction works after your demolisher on another site?
- Has the contractor been around for a long time? Contractors that have been around for a long time are generally doing something right, and are in the industry ‘long term’. some new companies are just old companies reincarnated because they had a bad name.
- Ask how long works will take on-site, from commencing to completion. Generally, this should be 7-8 working days for a standard house. Consider your ‘holding costs’ for your demolition work if the job takes 3 or 4 weeks, some demolishers ‘overcommit’ in order to win the job, then take forever to finish on site. This can also attract penalties from your builder.
- It shouldn’t always be about price, sometimes if the price is too good to be true, it often is, and there will be problems. Sometimes $1000 more can be the difference between the best in the industry and the worst. $1000 is a small price to pay for the job to be done right.
- Last of all look check out online Forums, this can often give you a clear picture on which contractors are doing the right and wrong things with their customers.
- Don’t trust reviews left on websites, these are easily controlled by the contractor, many reviews are left by people affiliated with the company, and do not give you an accurate idea on how the contractor will work for you.
Should you require further information or have any queries please feel free to contact our office on 02 9638 5788.